The time is starting to speed up as the spring slowly crawls into NH. We are tired of being cold but we no sooner say that when we realize that cold will be a 'four letter word' shortly in Jamaica.
To give a small idea of the details involved in this kind of adventure consider the following:
1. Get a government passport and Jamaican Visa [different from the standard passport that we already have]. This required finding and ultimately replacing birth certificates [very easy and I think too easy] and going to two different US Post Offices. Rochester folks were great!
2. Write an owner manual for the house and care of the dog. This is hugely more complicated than I thought it would be when I started. Basically it involves condensing 26 years of home ownership into writing. Every house has quirks and then add the silly dog...
3. Arrange coverage for the house with our Niece Devin and her BF/SO Rich. Set up accounts for them to use for major repairs. Make a memo of understanding.
4. Attend to financial details like letting the bank know not to cancel our credit cards when they see charges from Jamaica.
5. Set up trust and financial power of attorney for our son Ben to act in our stead if need be.
6. Actually get around to doing the 5,000 repairs I have always meant to do...
7. Connect with family that I know I will not see for a while and frankly maybe ever again considering the age of a few of my relatives. Very powerful and poignant moment.
8. Sign off on a few projects that I have taken on as a part of various boards.
9. Sell the car.
10. Arrange / transfer insurances so that everything is covered for the right people.
Well you get the idea...I won't belabor it here [too late to say that?] And this list does not include things like learning Patois [Jamaican African language], researching everything we can about Jamaica and even planning a Christmas for the family in Jamaica!
All for now but more as we go along.
Love to all,
Matt
Monday, March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
"To help to undo the collosal damage done to America's reputation and image by the administration of George W. Bush"
That's a tough mission...one if my primary reasons for joining though.
Looks like there are a few advantages to joining the Peace Corps right out of college. Not much to take care of before leaving. Hope you guys are able to get everything settled in time!
Matt & Karen,
My husband, Wayne, and I will be heading to Jamaica with you in July! I just wanted to introduce myself since I stumbled upon your blog. I have set up a google group for our PCJ group, if you are interested in joining go to http://groups.google.com/group/pcj79.
Looking forward to meeting you in person,
Rachel
looking forward to meeting you two. see you in July! until then... respect.
brittney
community environmental health
pcv jamaica 2007-2009
ain't that the truth.
my story?
here's the long/short of it:
i graduated with a BS in civil engr in june 2007. sometime in the beginning of the year i decided for sure that i didn't really want to join the work force quite yet. i also had a long conversation with my boss (see blog entry: http://breaksaway.blogspot.com/2006/10/journey-of-thousand-miles-begins-with.html) that led me to start thinking about PC. took some time to discuss this with the rents (you know scared them to death) then sent in my app.
the rest is history. been here about 9.5 months already. going home in 3 days for a brief visit (2 weeks) to family and friends! should be fun and full of good food!
Hi Matt&Karen,
My husband and I are headed SOMEwhere soon...most likely Caribbean in July 2008, but not sure when. Our invite should come any day! I'd love to link your blog on our PC blog--It's amazing to read and realize how we're all in this thing together.
Good luck with all of these preparatory things...we're right behind you.
~Jesse (and Josh)
http://joshnjesse.wordpress.com/
Like Jesse and Josh, my wife and I are heading to the caribbean for peace corps this summer. I am pretty sure it will be jamaica because it is the only island that needs water/sanitation help, which I've been told will be my job.
I hope to see you in a few short months!
Thanks to everyone who has responded! Soon we will meet and perhaps share warm sun, work and a beer!
Matt Towne
It's official--we're off to staging on July 1st, headed to Jamaica mon.
Can't wait to meet you two and do this thing together! NINE WEEKS!
I too will be leaving in July for Jamaica and would love to get in contact with other volunteers. Looking forward to seeing you all soon!
Salena
Post a Comment