Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Kare's Turn to Ruminate About Impending Departure

I have spent the last two months submerged in Peace Corps prep details. I've ordered tech gear suitable for use with/without electric power, read Patois, and purged my home of non- essential items. And then spring arrived at breakneck speed-- I found myself planning gardens, dreaming of kayaking and hiking with friends, spending time at the lake and the ocean. Then it struck me! I'm not going to be home for the summer. And I have to remind myself once again that I'll be headed out on June 30.

I'm suddenly awash with an overwhelming sense of nostalgia and loss. I'm not sure whether to succomb to the inevitable feelings that are bound to surface as the time nears. I know on some level that I must and I will. Being able to choose a new path is an empowering thing and for that I am grateful. I'm ever willing to admit that many of the zany turns my life has taken have been fueled by my life partner, Matt. Matt is the idea person in our relationship, the visionary. I'm the "in the moment, let me meditate" part of our duo. I love helping people and taking on new, creative ventures. Once I'm sold on an idea, I become a full participant.

Yes, ready or not----I'm revved up and ready to learn new skills, meet new and energized people and live in a new culture. Is Jamaica and the Peace Corps ready for me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I will be serving in Jamaica leaving July 3, 2008 as well! I am a 22 year old social worker from Wisconsin! :) can't wait to meet you both! what's your assignment? smlthclr9@yahoo.com :)